The Placement YearFor each student on the Tonmeister programme the third year of registration is normally a Professional Training Year (PTY), during which they will be working for an employer in the audio industry. The PTY scheme has advantages for employers and for students...
For EmployersThis leaflet explains the gist of the placement scheme, gives some examples of how it might help you as an employer, and mentions a few of the other employers who use it: TonmeisterPlacements.pdf
Employers who have registered their intention to offer a placement this year can view shortlists of candidates plus CVs on our Members Only Website.For further information please contact the Tonmeister Senior Professional Training Tutor Caroline Haigh
For StudentsThe placement year forms an important part of your education and aims to develop your professional, practical, interpersonal, organisational, and creative &/or technical skills, and to allow you to apply some of the theory that you have learned in the first two years of the programme. Full placement scheme details for current students are available in the programme handbooks and module descriptions but, as a taster, here's what some of the students on placement in 2015/16 thought were the 5 'coolest' (i.e. most useful, interesting, remarkable, exciting, impressive, enjoyable, etc.) things about their placements...
Alex Symeonides : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Audio Visual Intern
- Learned how to direct and vision mix orchestra concerts
- Got to engineer a commercial session in Milton Court Concert Hall
- Assisted on, and did all the edit-session preparation for a Naxos album that we recorded in Milton Court Concert Hall
- Mixed a concert by Liane Carroll, featuring the Guildhall Jazz Band and Jazz Singers
- Got repeat business from the commercial session's artist re-mixing three songs
Beau Blaise : Monnow Valley Studio : Assistant Engineer
- Re-fitted the control room with new desk, computer and outboard.
- Worked with renowned producers and learned their techniques.
- Received engineering and playing credits on records.
- Improved Pro Tools skills by tape oping on almost every session."
- Worked on a wide range of musical projects.
Ben Roots : Saville Audio Visual : Junior Technician
- Working abroad with everything being paid for you
- Working on big events worth a lot of money
- Having quite a lot of responsibility put on you to deliver the events
- Getting to play with some very expensive equipment
- Driving vans
Bruce Hall : Ableton AG : Movie & Events Team - Production Assistant
- Worked on exciting projects in a company at the cutting edge of electronic music production technology.
- Worked and developed relationships with many brilliant musicians, industry leading companies and all round generally awesome humans.
- Worked on exciting events in the field of music technology in Berlin.
- Lived in Berlin, an incredible place for music, arts, culture and society.
- Gained experience in project planning, team work, media & marketing, video and content production.
Chris Martin : Producertech : Course Content Manager
- Lived and worked in Berlin for a year
- Greatly improved my knowledge of German
- Gained invaluable marketing skills
- Working for a small company gave me huge responsibility
- Learned to use Ableton Live and Final Cut Pro X
Christopher Holden : SNK Studios : Junior Runner
- Met some famous faces
- Had my music played on Spotify Adverts
- Worked on a surround sound session for a 360 degree projection project
- Went to the Spotify London office
- Went to Envy Post to watch a 5.1 trailer mix
Connor Hughes : Abbey Road Studios : Runner
- Stood a metre away from the orchestra as they played the first cue from Spectre.
- Recorded Maxim Vengerov for a an album of Hans Zimmer scores.
- Worked on the Channel 4 Rio Paralymics advert with the most inspiring musicians imaginable (have a look on YouTube!).
- Helped the technical engineers with the finishing touches of refurbishing Studio 2’s control room.
- Learnt a great deal about recording from some of the best engineers in the world across a wide range of styles and genres.
Dan Dando : Charcoalblue : Audiovisual Consultant
- Developed programs for virtual reality.
- Watched 9 theatre shows for free.
- Worked with highly skilled staff to complete projects.
- Learnt a lot about topics I had a previous interest in (networks, VR, dolby atmos
- Visited New York
Dan Weston : Focusrite : Quality Assurance Engineering Intern
- Worked on a wide range of products (Red 4/8Pre, RedNet A8/16R, Focusrite Control iOS) and platforms (Hardware, Software, Firmware etc.)
- Learnt to code automated test scripts for dScope using VBScript
- Was a valued and respected member of my teams and department
- Learnt how to write test plans for products to ensure their quality
- Worked in a company who really cares for their employees (Free Breakfast/Lunch, 5 a-side football, parties and other music events throughout the year)
Fred Bruford : MQA Ltd. : R&D Student Assistant
- Worked on genuinely cutting edge technology and research.
- Got to listen to and test unreleased high-end hi-fi equipment from different manufacturers.
- Went from having no programming experience to being confident in four languages in just a year.
- Got to be part of a start-up company and watch it grow in an exciting period of its development.
- Learned loads about hi-res audio from experts in the field.
George Collins : Floating Earth Ltd. : Assistant Engineer
- Recorded the world's most renowned orchestras including The Royal Philharmonic and the Vienna Philharmonic
- Worked on many large scale broadcasts including The Brit Awards and The BBC Music Awards
- Worked and recorded in many world class venues including The Royal Albert Hall, The Royal Festival Hall and the o2 Stadium London
- Worked with some of the industry's top engineers and producers
- Gained vast experience in rigging recording set ups of all sorts of nature
Jack Mills : Peter Gabriel Ltd : Assistant Engineer
- Worked closely with Peter on his current work.
- Spent most of my time at Real World Studios.
- Learned valuable engineering techniques.
- Learned how to maintain a professional recording facility.
- Toured North America with Peter and Sting.
Jacob Spencer : Royal Academy of Music : Trainee Recording Engineer
- Recorded many very talented, up-and-coming musicians.
- Watching a masterclass from Maxim Vengerov.
- Working with a great department that I learned a lot from.
- Developed a passion for colour correction.
- Felt like a very valued member of the team.
Joe McCall : Aquarium Studios : Audio Assistant
- Completing the foley for several feature films and being credited for this.
- Attending Warner Bros. De Lane Lea studio’s Christmas party.
- Being given freedom to record sounds for an immersive binaural film sequence, involving heartbeats, breaths, footsteps, as well as building up a soundscape of existing FX.
- Creating an initial mix for a live recording of the RnB artist Omar.
- Being involved in the setup and operation of FIFA recording sessions.
Katie Earl : In The Woods Digital : Production Assistant
- Finished the year with 3 different album credits for 3 different roles
- Got to go to gigs as part of work to check out artists, including The Great Escape Festival!
- Met loads of different people and been able to begin to establish a freelance career
- Got to work in some amazing buildings including St Pauls Cathedral and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- The actual festival!
Lawrence Shahid : Spitfire Audio : Intern in General Production
- Created my own library and got it released.
- Was involved in the production of all of Spitfire's libraries throughout my placement.
- Got to work with people from many different backgrounds including one of the music editors for Les Miserables.
- Helped filmed and record multiple interviews with many people in the industry.
- Created a handful of music demos for Spitfire Audio.
Matthew Ingram : Ben Holland Sound Ltd. : Audio and Dubbing Assistant
- Worked for 7 weeks in Mallorca as a sound operator on Love Island
- Dubbed VT inserts and promos that went out live on Ant & Dec Saturday Night Takeaway
- Managed the communications between the director, autocue operator and 8 sets of presenters during a live broadcast of Text Santa
- Worked with the producers of the Tweenies and Pingu as sound recordist on TaDa kids TV
- Gained credits as location sound recordist and dubbing mixer on three short feature films
Oliver Roberts : World of Sound : Assistant Recording Engineer/Editor
- Got to work in some fantastic venues, including the O2 and the Royal Albert hall
- The staff are really good to work with and you can learn lots from them
- Stayed in many Premier Inns and ate loads of food that I didn't pay for
- Worked alongside many top musicians, including the Kings Singers
- Plenty of responsibility and hands-on experience on offer
Andy Maxwell : Angel Studios : Runner
- Had the opportunity to work with high profile clients.
- Got a great insight into how orchestral sessions were run.
- Got a good look at the many jobs available in the recording industry.
- Could pick accomplished engineers brains about aspects of recording.
- Got to work in a vibrant and exciting part of London.
Rhys Nord : Script/Tileyard Studios : Assistant Engineer
- Assisted recording vocals for Alexander Armstrong.
- Saw an album all the way through writing, demos, recording, mixing, and mastering.
- Meeting and working with highly accomplished engineers and producers.
- Worked on a session recorded straight to vinyl.
- Made contacts in all areas of the music and recording industry.
Rory Bett : Sky production services : audio assistant
- Shadowed and gained experience from many different facets of the TV production process beyond audio
- Worked in an exciting ever changing FTSE100 company
- Regularly recorded the most popular boxing podcast amongst others on iTunes
- Edited and Mixed two 5.1 short films
- Received a series credit for my contribution to a prime time Sky 1 show
Sophia Beeby : Empower Global : Creative Team Coordinator
- Assisted on the filming and editing of a music video
- Engineered and mixed multitracked and live acoustic recording sessions
- Designed the sound for the in-house shows of and sang BVs on a 4-day tour (inc 2 days at a festival) with the band I worked with
- Co managed the sound design, stage setup and execution of a live production
- Organised, managed and ran a mini music festival
Tim McKeever : Sky Production Services : Trainee Dubbing Mixer
- Regularly engineered short packages, advertisements and podcasts that go to air within the week
- Recorded James Nesbitt voicing the titles for the US Open (Golf)
- Recorded Martin Tyler on several occasions for short packages
- Achieved my first TV credit as an assistant dubbing editor
- Amazing variety of gourmet food at subsidised prices
Tom Walsh : Focusrite : R&D Hardware Intern
- Worked on exciting new products and gained great insight into upcoming technology in the industry
- Learned lots of new skills
- I have designed parts of products that are currently on the market
- Free lunch and biscuits
- Generous staff discount
William Lloyd Gray : Royal College of Music : Trainee Recording Engineer
- Recording Steven Reich in concert
- Engineering a session with the RCM Symphony Orchestra alongside a Grammy award-winning producer
- Both audio and vision mixed for RCM live streams
- Engineered my first full classical album
- Worked on a live stream at the renowned Wigmore Hall
Yuen Lung (Roy) Cheung : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Audio Visual Intern
- Enormous exposure to Classical and Jazz music, alongside lots of operas, musicals and theatre
- Worked with many talented musicians and actors in numerous recording sessions
- Had the chance to work in the Barbican Hall TV Control Room for the filming of orchestral concerts
- Great experience with video work
- Amazing location - central London